Tuesday, September 23, 2008

All Dressed Up?


So we’re now 15 days out…. Stomach just flipped. On the phone yesterday with a friend who had a very bad week (son’s appendix ruptured)she asked how I was doing and I said , “Getting ready to leave for Bouchercon next week” Her response was, “It’s here? Finally….” Over the past two years it’s become rather like the Holy Grail to those close to me near to home. Mythic, unattainable…. Perhaps not even existing at all. And soon it will be just a memory. A series of blog posts, shared experiences , and an unworthy song title or two forever etched in my brain.

Still, I’m calming down…. Things are shaping up, contracts coming in furiously, party invites galore, so….

I experienced girl panic yesterday. It’s time to pack and I have nothing to wear…. Girl panic.. How does one dress for opening ceremonies when you need to talk in front of people? When packing for 15 days is there even room for accessories? Do I have time to find new black shoes? What will the weather be like? So when you see me at the Anthony awards in jeans and a Crimespree T Shirt, you’ll know I gave up and moved on, in the meantime it’s kind of fun to be in touch with this part of me again, she’s been missing for awhile….

Ruth

9 Comments:

Blogger pattinase (abbott) said...

Everyone always feels more comfortable when they see someone in charge in jeans and tee shirts. I've always wanted to be a personal shopper so if need be....

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:26:00 AM  
Blogger Ayo Onatade said...

I do understand. I have started dropping stuff in my suitcase. I am afraid that I am going to forget something. Like you I am a jeans and t-shirt person. I don't do dressing up unless I can avoid it. I don't do clothes shopping either unless I can't avoid it.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I usually wear jeans except for the brunch, which I might not go to this year; very tight on moola. Just bought me plane ticket on SW airlines, pretty cheap, but I still have to pay my 1/2 of the hotel bill..Kim, are you out there? WRITE ME!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

ONLY 15 DAYS???? HELP! I gotta PACK! Just kidding. Looking forward to this event for some time now, even if I have to mooch off of friends the entire weekend. Those of you who owe me a drink, I'll be looking for ya...just kidding....

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm a guy. A couple pairs of underwear, a box of books, and I'm good to go.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jon The Crime Spree Guy said...

Underwear?

I'm going commando so I have more room for books

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:57:00 AM  
Blogger Ayo Onatade said...

I can't stop laughing about Jon's comment. Going commando or books. Not a hard choice to make.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:50:00 AM  
Blogger Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Packing has me a bit freaked out. I'm the worst.
But I really want to get everything into carry on. We have a friend here from Phoenix. Came in Sunday on a non-stop flight and his luggage hasn't arrived yet. EEK!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:30:00 AM  
Blogger B.G. Ritts said...

Since I'm driving, I've been collecting boxes and packing them full. I figure my trunk will be filled with stuff. Clothes-wise, I bought a couple pairs of jeans at Walmart. Hope there'll be room for my suitcase...

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home