Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Home at the desk top, cat purring at my feet.....

I'm reading all these great blogs and finally have been able to read the guest author posts at Read Street. If you missed this year's B-Con and are on the fence about next year's take a look at the boards, the news, and the web site... and then follow this link.

Jim and Mike and their team shadowed us from Tuesday on and next year will be just as FANtastic , if not more so,I'm sure.

Hosting one of these things is a bit different than my usual role of attending and so I missed a lot, but I also saw a lot. And I have to give out a ton of thanks. To everyone who stuffed bags with us on Tuesday, you guys rock. Registration desk volunteers worked every day and did a fab job.To the many who monitored, moderated and participated in panels, thank you all. I have received so many e-mails crediting me for your brilliance. And a couple of special shout outs. Stacey Cochran videoed the guest of honor interviews for us. Two are on the web site now and two more will be up shortly. And Heather Drucker of Harper Collins captured a live stream feed of the Billingham/Connolly conversation which I hope to put on the web site soon.

I heard that all the publisher dinners and cocktail parties were brilliant, unfortunately, I made none but next year if I'm lucky enough to be invited, I'll be there with bells on. And I cannot believe I missed my first Reacher Creature's party in nine years(sorry Jack and Lee). I also missed a brilliant event at the Library of Congress on Tuesday evening where one half of our Lifetime Achievement Award team, Robert Rosenwald gave a not to be missed speech on the future of publishing. It will be up shortly on the LOC site and I'll send everyone a link.

I did not miss the smiles on faces as they walked down the hall. Perhaps to visit the Hospitality Suite. I need to thank Sisters in Crime and Penny Clifton in particular. I came to them and told them what I wanted to accomplish with the space, gave them a budget and they executed my plan beyond any dreams Judy or I had.

The bookroom had the best representation of titles I've seen at a Bouchercon and they all worked hard to make sure that it happened. Each and every person in that dealer room deserves a shout out and consider this mine.

My thanks to everyone also who helped with bringing Bouchercon at the Movies to us. People were so happy to have a quieter, less kinetic evening event available to them. Kinetic was available too. Mark Billingham led us all through a lively opening ceremonies. The food was superb on that evening and the speeches brilliant. Followed by the presentation of the Crimespree, Macavity and Barry Awards there was no better note to go out on than George Easter so appropriately being awarded the Sandstrom Award for 2007.

Friday was Author without Borders and the Live Auction. Thank you to the four hundred or so people who bopped in and out for the hour long Authors event, and thanks also to everyone who came from abroad to play with us this weekend. The Live and Silent Auctions brought in just under 15,000 dollars and we're going to round it up. Thanks to Dave, Cindy, Beth, and all of their volunteers. I consider this a huge success, especially in last week's economic climate.

Saturday was pub quiz and those who joined us had a hilarious time. It was also the only time I got to spend with Fan Guest of Honor, Thalia Proctor... because I was so darned busy. So it was great on many levels thanks to the great team of Ted and Gary and the camaraderie of all who participated.

And to Sunday. What could we do but laugh when the fire alarm went off? Although I ran steadily that morning, as we all sat down for the brunch, the wonderful Mark allowed me to relax and he took over the end of the event. Judy and I had a few ideas, and Mark coordinated with Ben Leroy of Bleak House Books to make them happen.
A final toast to the forever to be missed James Crumley with a guest reading by George Pelecanos and a "shot on location" short honoring our Continuing Contribution to the Genre recipient, Lawrence Block. Thank You Larry. These were fabulous precursors to the presentation of the Anthony Awards but just as special to me was sitting with Bill and Toby Gottfried when they won the Sandstrom Award for 2008. Two heroes to everyone in our community and an inspiration to both fans and writers everywhere, I teared up as they went up on stage. The Anthonys were a celebration and then... it was over...

Baltimore gave us Sunny weather, both hotels gave us above and beyond service. The wait Staff and Management of both hotels worked hard to make all of us comfortable and everything go off with minimal hitches. And as much as we enjoyed them, they enjoyed us. Both hotels have said that we are fabulous and whenever we want to come back they'll be there for us. They thank you for your courtesy, patience, understanding, and the energy you brought to their hotels.

And my guests of honor . It's so hard to let go because from Meeting John and falling just a little in love (like Jon and myself he and his partner Sarah met one another through Bouchercon), to seeing Thal again, to having a lively discussion in Barbara and Robert's suite, To the sheer quake running through my body as I was able to introduce Lawrence Block and Charles Ardai to the membership, to Laura's radiance as she acted the role of hostess to the 1400 of us there and to Mark, who I knew would be brilliant and was an even better toastmasterer than I expected....I do not want to let you all go.

As I buzzed through the membership, I saw many faces and was unable to spend enough time with anyone, such a change from last year's cozy reunion feel. Some I said brief hellos too and some I missed entirely. Where was McKenna Jordan? And Joe Wallace, I know you were there but did I see you, even? Vicki Hendricks is one of my fav people and there was no time. But next year I'm free and clear and hoping for a lot of inspiring conversation, and cocktails.... lots of cocktails.

and now, back to the cat..... he needs pets from Mom,
Ruth

7 Comments:

Blogger Ayo Onatade said...

Baltimore was such a blast that I can't really describe how much I enjoyed myself! You guys rock! I am so pleased that you won the Anthony Award. You certainly deserved it. I cannot at this present time think of anyone else that has the ability to make one feel so welcome. Ruth and Judy were an excellent team and put on the best "show" ever. As for Jon, what can I day. Thanks for making me laugh so much and keeping me entertained with your tee-shirts. They were amazing. You guys are the best.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:00:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Cameron said...

It was a marvelous event. Thank you so much, Ruth and Judy and Jon and everyone else who made it happen.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:17:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Once again, thanks for all your hard work. You can be proud of the wonderful event you staged.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Ali Karim said...

IT WAS THE BEST EVENT EVER THANK YOU JUDY, JON AND ALL THE VOLUNTEERS.

I had a totally mental time at Bouchercon Baltimore and I'm just back - despite almost missing my flight thanks to my continued popularity with Airport Security who, when they 'randomly' selected me for 'special treatment' asked "Sir do you always travel with 100 crime novels in your luggage?" -

Thanks you are the best people I know

Ali

I spent the weekend with a smile on my face like a kid in a toy shop

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger pattinase (abbott) said...

I hope the amount of work you guys put in to this event is somewhat rewarded by the universally good time that was had by all. I don't think I've read anything but raves from your legion of fans. Thanks again and I hope we meet again sometime soon since I never did get up the nerve to talk to Jon.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger G.M. Malliet said...

It was a *fantastic* Bouchercon and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. Well, most of it.

There are some photos and an explanation of the part that wasn't so great at my group blog:

http://midnightwriters.blogspot.com/2008/10/bouchercon-2008.html

Thanks to all the people who came to the rescue. You know who you are and you are wonderful.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Author said...

Hi all, just back in England, but wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who made my first Boucherocn a truly amazing experience. I met some fabulous people and am looking forward to meeting you all again next year.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home