Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Pat's- A Bouchercon memory


A yes, 'tis the day when America celebrates little green men and throws food coloring in their Miller High Life. We're a little spazzy here in the USA. I have fond memories of a recent St.Patty's day shared with today's guest. Ken Bruen is the author of the Brandt and Jack Taylor series. His latest book stateside is CROSS. So get your green on, everyone and I'll be back.....
Ruth



..............................My first B'con was in Las Vegas, I wasn't a registered attendee and only went literally 24 hours before
I flew from Galway to Dublin to London to LA to Las Vegas with an English Publisher, we had 19 hours together! He wrote a long account of it for the UK posh papers and mentioned everyone save me...........Jesus, how much had I bored the poor bollix?
The previous time I'd been in Vegas was 20 years before to get married and no, not by elvis
We had no money so it was just us and a female minister who looked uncannily like shirley bassey.............should have known that was an omen right there
2nd day in, I'm standing at the bar, with CJ Box..........I knew not one single American mystery writer before going and I hear my Name called, turn around and it's Jim Crumley, we grabbed an alcove and spoke for 4 hours staight, I was uber fan..........still am
And.............walking down a corridor, having won 250 bucks on blackjack, I met a lady who asked
are you K.B?
It was Donna Moore and the beginning of one of the best friendships of my life
I saw Janet Evanovich coming out of the swimming pool and wanted to go dry her
Meeting Jen Jordan who was promoting Ugly Town and didn't realise I'd met one third of the family who would grace my life in every way there is

2 Comments:

Blogger Don Longmuir Scene of the Crime Books said...

Top of the Morning to you!
Vegas was my first con as well.
I'm so excited about Baltimore I losing sleep already!
Happy St. Patrick's day and see you all soon!
Don Longmuir
Scene of the Crime Books
P.S. The pic of Soren and Ruth in front of the Crab Cake sign is beautiful. It made my day.

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Jen Jordan said...

It was at the B'Con that I learned not to let Mr Bruen know that one is having a birthday if one has any hope of not being utterly hung the next day.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home