Friday, May 30, 2008

THREE DAYS DOWN


With three days to go until the big announcement today's memory comes from Sean Chercover, Sean's second book Trigger City will be out in October.
First Bouchercon Memories

Sean Chercover


My first Bouchercon was Toronto ’04. Not only my first Bouchercon, but my first mystery convention . . . and my first fan convention of any kind, for that matter.

I had no idea what I was in for.

It was also a bit of a “coming out” for me. I’d made many online friends on the RAM (rec.arts.mystery) Usenet group. They knew me as a fellow online fan, but most did not know my secret.

See, I’d written a book. Well, a manuscript. But I’d been reluctant to tell anyone until it was done. I set Bouchercon as my deadline for revisions. Now I was done, and ready to look for an agent.

So I came out. Told people about the manuscript (and had some copies to give out to online friends for feedback).

They were all very kind, and none said, “You idiot – what makes you think I would want to lug 356 loose pages in a box, all the way back to . . . California . . . Pennsylvania . . . Wisconsin . . . England.”

No, they were very kind and took the damn pages with them. And they were, without exception, supportive of my crazy idea that I might actually be able to write one of these things.

Meeting these online friends was a fantastic experience. Jon and Ruth immediately took me under their wing and introduced me around. And the RAMmers suddenly had faces to go with their names. Mark Allan Miller and Kat Richardson and John Purcell and Jen and Jeremy and Sandi and Sarah and Patricia and Soren (who is missed, and will be forever) and Mitchy and Rik and Beth and Donna and on and on…

It was quite a party, and online acquaintances quickly became good friends.

And this is where I first learned of the welcoming and supportive nature of mystery authors. It is so often repeated that it sounds trite. But it’s true.

Joe Konrath took me to a nearby bar and told me everything he’d learned about the ‘finding an agent’ dance. Many authors graciously ignored my fanboy moments and offered encouragement and advice. Lee Child was exceedingly kind. Walter Mosley pretended not to notice me staring at him like a hero-worshiping puppy.

The after-hours bar scene was intense, and little sleep was had that weekend. And I picked up a new addiction. A Bouchercon addiction.

It’s an addiction I never want to kick.

See ya in Baltimore.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon The Crime Spree Guy said...

Just to clarify, Sean's new book is TRIGGER CITY, not Tigger City.

At first I thought it was crime fiction with Pooh's friend, however I was mistaken...

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Sean Chercover said...

Dude - where were you when I needed you? Tigger City is a WAY better title!

A wonderful thing's a Tigger,
A Tigger's a wonderful thing,
Their tops are made out of rubber,
Their bottoms are made out of spring!

I wonder if it's too late to change it...

Friday, May 30, 2008 9:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home